If you want to know how long does it take to deep fry a turkey, then you’re definitely in the right place. We’re going to give you all the details you need to know about this important question!
Deep Frying a Turkey: How Long Does it Take?
A common question that many people have is, “How long does it take to deep fry a turkey?” It’s a great question because all the common wisdom you have about how long it takes to cook a turkey in the oven can be thrown out the window! Heck, even the advice about how long it takes to cook a turkey in the oven isn’t all that great and can vary widely.
The good news is that it takes a much shorter amount of time to deep fry a turkey. And the end result of frying a turkey as opposed to cooking it in the oven is far, far more delicious! Moist, crispy, juicy deep fried turkey in about 1/3-1/2 the time it takes to cook at turkey in the oven. We love that here at Deep Fried Turkeys!
Seriously, if you haven’t deep fried a turkey, we’re hope that you’re questioning your life choices. This is a life-altering event and your only regret in doing it is all the wasted years. If you need to get yourself a turkey fryer, then you’ll want to check out our top recommendations: Best Turkey Fryers.
Ready for all the details about how long it takes to fry a turkey? Let’s go!
Recommendations from the Food Network about Turkey Deep Frying
In this recipe from Paula Deen on the Food Network, she gives the following advice about how long it takes to deep fry a turkey. Paula Deen most certainly knows how to deep fry up some delicious stuff, so you’d do well to heed her advice!
Of course, you should check the internal temperatures to make sure the bird is completely done inside and not rely solely on time. We’ve given you the correct cooking temperatures in the next section below with advice from Butterball.
1. Allow the turkey to reach room temperature.
2. Heat peanut oil to 350 degrees F
3. Fry the turkey for 3 minutes per pound, plus 5 minutes per bird
10 pound turkey = 35 minutes
15 pound turkey = 50 minutes
20 pound turkey = 65 minutes
25 pound turkey = 80 minutes
- 44 Qt. Stainless Steel Oversized Turkey Fryer
- 20 Gauge Commercial Stainless Steel
- Vented Stainless Lid and Insulated Glove
- Aluminum Perforated Poultry Rack/Grab Hook
- 12" Thermometer 50°-750° & Stainless Seasoning Injector
Recommendations from Butterball about Deep Frying Turkey
Butterball is one of the most trusted names in everything turkey. We LOVE their line of indoor turkey deep fryers and their top-quality of oil-free indoor fryers. They’re so good that we have a very difficult time recommending anything else in the area of inside fryers.
Here is Butterball’ answer to the question, “How long does it take to deep fry a turkey?”
- Let the turkey thaw completely
- Heat the oil to 400 degree F
- Pat the turkey dry with paper towels and coat with any seasonings
- Cook the turkey for 3-4 minutes per pound. Internal temperature white meat = 165-170 F. Internal temperature dark meat = 175-180 F.
- Take it out, set it on a pan and let turkey stand for 20 minutes before carving.
10 pound turkey = 30-40 minutes
15 pound turkey = 45-60 minutes
20 pound turkey = 60-80 minutes
25 pound turkey = 75-100 minutes
- Includes electric Fryer, chrome-wire basket with drain clip, gloves, cookbook CD, basket divider,...
- Basket with patented drain clips
- Oil drain valve for easy clean-up
- Dishwasher safe components
- Fry using oil or boil/steam with water
Recommendations from Canadian Turkey about Frying Turkeys
Canadian turkey gives the following advice about how long it takes to deep fry a turkey for that next big Thanksgiving feast:
- Be sure the turkey is completely thawed. Ideally, you would do this slowly in the fridge, and not on the countertop. If the turkey isn’t completely thawed, it can cause the oil to spill and splatter over the side of the pot and become very dangerous. Don’t turn your kitchen into a blazing inferno, okay? More details about that here: Deep Fried Turkey Safety.
- Ensure the bird is dry by patting with a paper towel, inside and outside. Moisture can cause oil splatter.
- DO NOT stuff the turkey! Cook your stuffing in the oven.
- Preheat oil to 400 degrees F, and be sure to follow the directions for your specific fryer.
- Cook until 170 degree F internal temperature.
- Let stand for 20 minutes on a rack, covered with foil before carving.
10 pound turkey = approx. 35 minutes
We hope that you found this short article about how long does it take to deep fry a turkey useful. For more details, including safety tips, recipes and more, check out, “How to Deep Fry a Turkey.”
Learn more about How to Deep Fry a Turkey
Do you want to find out more about deep frying turkey, including how long to fry it for? Then check out this short video below for everything you need to know:
How Long to Deep Fry a 20 Pound Turkey?
According to the above recommendations, it’ll take 65 minutes at 350F to deep fry a turkey that’s 20 pounds in weight.
Or, if you prefer to have the oil a bit hotter at 400F, it could take as little as 60 minutes.
In either case, be sure the oil is up to the correct temperature before putting your turkey in. You’ll have a more accurate picture of how it’ll take, plus you’ll get a better fry on your turkey if the oil is the correct temperature.
Remember the following internal temperature must be met in order to ensure food safety. Please use a thermometer and don’t just guess or use some other method like wiggling the wings or poking it to see if blood come out. Remember that your turkey will be in a deep fryer and the only real safe, easy method is to use a thermometer.
White meat = 165-170 F.
Dark meat = 175-180 F
Also account resting into your total time. Most people remove their turkey, and then let it sit for about 15-20 minutes before carving.
Can You Deep Fry a 20 Pound Turkey?
If you have one of these big boys that are 20+ lbs, you can certainly cook it in a deep fryer. However, you’re going to need a large fryer like the Grand Gobbler that’s designed for outdoor use, or a larger Butterball Fryer for indoor use. Check them out on Amazon here:
How Long Do You Deep Fry a 15 Pound Turkey?
Okay, so you have a smaller bird in there. How long is it going to take to deep fry a turkey that’s 15 pounds. Let’s find out.
At 350 F, it’ll take 50 minutes. Or, at 400 F, it could take as little as 45 minutes.
Frying Turkey Time, Per Pound
If you prefer to have the exact amount of time you need to fry your turkey, based on the exact weight of it, here are some simple calculations.
At 350 degrees F, you can fry the turkey for 3 minutes a pound, plus 5 minutes per bird.
At 400 F, fry it for 3-4 minutes per pound. Check the internal temperature at 3 minutes to know if it’s done.
Remember that these are only approximations and the temp is the most important thing. If you have a fryer that’s not that powerful, the oil temp may go down quite a bit when you put the turkey in and then take a long time to heat up again. This could result in a longer cooking time than these recommendations so add a bit of time.
And remember, it’s far faster when frying a turkey than roasting it on the oven!
Have your Say: How Long Does it Take to Fry a Turkey
Do you have any advice or tips for deep frying a turkey, including your tips or tricks for frying turkey time per pound? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other foodies, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API